Wednesday, August 8, 2012

DMV registration & California Emission Standard

Emission Sticker by Speedy ChungEmission Sticker by Speedy ChungEmission Sticker by Speedy Chung
Emission Sticker, a photo by Speedy Chung on Flickr.
As you may already know, the new-to-me Tricolore came with current Washington State registration. According to California law, all out-of-State vehicles, imported or not, 2 wheels or 4, are all required to register with California within 10 day after enter the Golden State. In order to register, the vehicle has to reach 50 States certificated emission standard, or it needs to have 7500 miles or more. California has it's own emission standard that on one has - even the gas selling in the Golden State is different. I know the fact that all imported Ducati since 1992 were all 50 states certificated - and it's printed on a sticker. So... where is hell is the sticker?

After looking all over the bike with panels down; still no luck to locate the sticker. So I decided to dive in - take the tank out and search. Man, I just got the bike less than 24hrs ago and I already taking it apart with no menu - I guess I must be crazy. Thanks to 1098 nice design, removing the tank is A LOT easier than I expected - it's easier than my Classic, F1098s - even Monster!!! All the connection point were at the back - fuel lines, tank breather hose, over-flow hose, & power connector of fuel pump were al at one spot. It took me less than 10mins to pop the tank - it's amazing!

So finally I found it - the sticker is located at the under side of the tank near the front. But how the hell I can show it to the DMV inspector? It took me 30mins just taking it apart in my garage - it will be very hard to do the same at DMV parking lot. Soooo.... I removed the sticker. Put it on the side of the air box, and all I need to do on site is to remove 2 bolts on the side panel - it's easy and quick!

On the following day at DMV, all my hard work paid off - the registration process was smooth and easy. I had title, bill of sale, and check in hand. The inspector verified VIN number on frame, engine number, and of cause, the emission sticker. Walked away with new license plate and sticker in 2 hrs - believe me, it's consider quick in California DMV! So she is officially a Cal girl now! Yeah!

2 comments:

  1. Where would the engine number be located...can you show me a picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Engine number is located at the oil sump area close to the oil filter. Good luck,

    ReplyDelete